Swimming with the Razorfishes

Monday, November 03, 2003

Forbes is running an article about "Gadgets We Love." First on the list? The iPod, of course:



"The iPod is a handy little thing, letting you travel with a prodigious collection of music without having to endure the disarray of a stack of CDs. But utility isn't the point; the real point is to ascend into Apple's elegant world. Like drivers of vintage Corvettes who stop at the same traffic light and give each other a smug thumbs-up, iPod users on the New York subway eye one another approvingly, spotting the distinctive white and tangle-prone earphones that mark another member of the club. Our faces share the same beatific look, as we get lost in sound, gleefully embracing technology that actually delivers." [via Forbes]



Actually, it happens a little differently.



Dude 1 [thinking]: Dude over there has an iPod, too.



Dude 2 [thinking]: Hmm. Another iPod. Two iPods on the A Train -- go figure! They are everywhere.



Dude 1: He's got the new model. Loser. I'm old skool. Got the original 5GB model.



Dude 2: He has a nice case. Why don't they make that Hedi Slimane case for the new iPods? Is he looking at me?



Dude 1: These Wall Street types have no taste, the bunch of lemmings. He's using the original headphones. Sucker!



Dude 2: Why is that guy with the iPod grinning at me? Jesus, I hope he doesn't try to mug me.



Dude 1: I could get the bourgeois 40 gig model if I wanted! I choose not to!



Dude 2: Now he's getting really agitated. I wonder if there is a transit cop around?



Dude 1: iPods were cool before before all the suits started buying them. They probably hook them up to a PC! Yea -- that's right, Gordon Gekko Jr! You aren't welcome here!



Dude 2: OK. Now he's freaking me out, iPod or not. I'm getting off at Spring Street. Maybe the Apple Store has those new speakers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home