Swimming with the Razorfishes

Monday, March 15, 2004

I have noticed that I progress through several distinct stages when working late. I think I'll share them with you.

  • Stage One: "Ok. It is going to be a long night." Resignation creeps in as I think of all thing things I won't be doing this evening.
  • Stage Two: "Need...coffee" After about 10 hours of working, my blood sugar crashes, and I need some food.
  • Stage Three: "Woo hoo!" No one is here late, so I can play Bob Marley as loud as I want.
  • Stage Four: "Danger! Danger!" There is a point when I get really angry that I'm the only one here. What am I doing here? Why am I wasting my life if no one else is? I am very irritable when I get to this stage, and should not be approached.
  • Stage Five: "What day is it?" Next I start to zone out. I'm just coding by reflex. I don't know what time it is, my name, I don't speak or walk well at this stage. I look vaguely ill.
  • Stage Six: "Straight on 'till morning" At this point, I've got my second wind, or endorphins are flowing, or something. Why stop now? I'll just shower in the gym before everyone else shows up in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home