Swimming with the Razorfishes

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I wasn't going to write any more about the election, but I keep reading statements to the effect of, "even though I didn't vote for president Bush, he was elected and I will support him.

What kind of shit is this?

  • Do I support the president after lying to start a war that has killed 100,000 civilians? No.
  • Do I support the president when he cuts taxes in the middle of a $250 billion military action? No.
  • Do I support the president in his efforts to gut environmental protection law? No.
  • Do I support a president who uses asinine wedge issues to frighten and divide the American public? No.
  • Do I support the president in his efforts to infringe on civil rights? No.
  • Do I support a president who irresponsibly runs up the nation's debt, all the while ignoring the impending crisis in the social security system? No.
  • Do I support a president who turned unprecedented world unity in 2001 into unprecedented world hatred in 2004? No.
  • Do I support a president who authorizes large-scale torture and indefinite detention of foreign nationals? No.
  • Do I support the president's failure of foreign policy and strategy that has swelled al Qaida's ranks and that has turned Osama Bin Laden into a legitimate Muslim leader? No.

I don't have to support President Bush, nor do I have to support his neo-conservative cultist administration, nor the Republican congress. Dissent is a most American act. I didn't vote for him, and I'm proud of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home