Swimming with the Razorfishes

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Jonathan Deacour, switcher. Cool.

This is my favorite anecdote:

[...]I also wonder if I don’t expect too much. When I bought a Dell desktop machine in 1998, I explained what I wanted to do with Windows to the consultant who was installing a DAT drive:

  • Use all the Microsoft Office applications.
  • Scan photographs and edit them in Photoshop.
  • Run Personal Web Server to do some dynamic web development.
  • Do my accounting with QuickBooks Pro.
  • Run Microsoft’s Japanese IME so I could read and write Japanese.
  • Burn CDs.
  • Install a Firewire card and capture footage from my Sony digital handycam.

“You’d probably be better off splitting those tasks between two separate Windows machines,” he told me.

Funny -- I've been thinking lately about how much I'm liking the last few versions of MacOS X. Reasonably fast, consistent, and no crashes. My laptop is routinely running for weeks at a time without reboots. All the while I'm switching between three different WiFi networks, attaching and removing digital cameras, connecting to phones and PalmPilots via Bluetooth, posting to 'blogs, etc...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home