Swimming with the Razorfishes

Thursday, December 23, 2004

RealNetworks has released RealPlayer 10 for Mac OS X. The irony of this release is that the free version of RealPlayer, minus all the annoying "Superpass" bells and whistles, is the first version I'd be willing to pay for. It does what it is supposed to do -- play streaming video -- and does it rather well and unobtrusively.

Is there a way I can get a license for the software without paying the $13 / month "Superpass" subscription audio and video I'll never use?

2 Comments:

  • It's free. Just download it. The premium content is what you have to pay for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 AM  

  • Well, I buy the annual plan - you may have to call up RealNetworks and ask them for it. $59.95 (IIRC) per year. You could always cancel after a year. But I find it much cheaper than the current rate of $12.95/month. The old rate was $9.95 a month, and they introduced the annual plan and the higher monthly rate at the same time, and I decided I'd just as soon pay the annual fee. Now if they had some more Mac-savvy tech support, it'd really be worth it. (Used to be okay in that dept, but (ironically) after I went to the annual plan, I started getting transfered to an offshored tech support who assumed I was using Windows. Eventually, I determined on my own that the problem was that the feature I was trying to use was not supported on the Mac.)

    By Blogger Johnathan, at 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home