Swimming with the Razorfishes

Thursday, February 10, 2005

From this...

Gates
click for high-res

...to this...

Gates
click for high-res

...to this...

Gates
click for high-res

...in just a few weeks. Christo and Jeanne-Claude's work, The Gates has started to take shape. The gates, covering walkways throughout Central Park, are going up. I did a quick walkthrough this afternoon and I'm really blown away.

I'm not sure why, but I find this project very moving. Massive orange gates covering footpaths from north to south. Beautiful, imposing, yet somehow flowing with the park in an eerie harmony. A small army of people putting it all together. It is difficult to describe or imagine the scope without walking through the park.

Something about the huge, temporary gates really touches me.

This weekend, the bolts of fabric attached to each crossbar will be unfurled, completing the installation. I can't wait.

Gates
GatesGates

If you are able, do come to see the gates. They come down February 27. But if you do find yourself in Central Park, please be gentle to the grass.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home