Swimming with the Razorfishes

Friday, March 18, 2005

Aahhhh...much better. Mr. UPS man made a visit this morning, dropping of a pair of Future Sonics EARS (EM3s). My quest for iPod headphones is a little closer to completion.

The EM3s sound good. Still not as flat or pleasing as Sennheiser 590s, but pretty good.

The bad: there is some serious roll off in high frequencies and a disturbing hump in the upper-mids. I think this is where their stage monitor heritage becomes evident.

The good: Bass. Nice, clear bass reproduction, if not a little over-emphasized. being a bass player, though, I'm happy to have the basslines stand out a bit. Low frequencies are clear and accurate. Nice.

The interesting: The ear pads seem to be made of the same material as those cheap foam earplugs, so they attenuate a serious amount of ambient noise. This might make them somewhat better than others for subway use.

These Future Sonics headphones are not excellent, but they are very listenable, particularly for in-ear phones. I'll play with these for a while, but I think I'm still going to get a set of ER-4Ps.

2 Comments:

  • See, I was going to get the Sennheiser 590s, too, but I listened to people who told me I'd look like a dork walking around with them. So now I don't look like a dork, but I can't hear the music. What does that say about my values?

    By Blogger Jeff Faria, at 2:45 AM  

  • Those Sennheisers are really spectacular. I think they are too bulky (and too hot) to use as general walk-around headphones, but they are unsurpassed in quality at that price.

    If you want to look like a little less of a dork, try the Grado sr60s. About $70, but comparable to much more expensive phones.

    By Blogger Eric Hancock, at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home