Swimming with the Razorfishes

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I often wonder about the advantages of public versus private education, but I do believe there is one thing people learn in private schools that they do not in public: faking it.

I'm not talking about going through life as a fraud, and, no, I'm not talking about faking orgasms (sick people). I'm referring to ad libbing; improvising.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "wow, that was great" only to respond, "yea, but I just made it up." And I'm not terribly good at it.

I think about this all the time in corporate life. There is no plan or "way to do it." Getting things done requires improvisation. People who understand this just get more things done. People who don't understand this mistake improvisation for "knowing a lot of stuff."

And I think that people learn more about ad libbing in private schools. Most of the people I've met who are really good at it learned it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home