Swimming with the Razorfishes

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Simplicity

On Friday, I woke up with a zeal for cleaning. This evening at about 10 PM, the same urge struck me.

But the compulsion wasn't so much for cleaning, rather I wanted to get rid of everything I own. All the crap I've accumulated. Between Friday morning and this evening, I think I threw away at least 1/5 of the contents of my apartment. I think I can get rid of another 20%.

Nearly as much fun as getting rid of all this junk was the means of disposal: stuffing it down the trash compactor. Opening that little door and jamming the garbage in. Hearing it slide down the chute. Sweet anticipation as it falls six floors. A satisfying thud as it hits the compactor.

Almost as much fun, too, as the memo I'll get from building management saying the trash compactor is broken because someone put a cardboard box of hangers, a box of extension cords, an electric screwdriver set, six bags of books, and three canvas bags of clothing into it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home