Swimming with the Razorfishes

Thursday, January 06, 2005

There seems to be consensus that All Along the Watchtower should be on the list. I left it off for a few reasons, but one in particular:

It is boring.

There are only so many times I can hear A minor-F-G played the same way, over and over, in one song. Yes, the playing is good, but I don't really like songs that are nothing more than an opportunity to wank. And wankbait this is.

Watchtower is also played. Every high school band learns Watchtower and Jumping Jack Flash and plays them to death.

Finally, Watchtower makes me think of Jehovah's Witnesses.

For these reasons, I left it off the playlist.

4 Comments:

  • All true. "All Along the Watchtower" only belongs for the solo. You can just put that 30 or 45 or how many ever seconds on the list.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:37 PM  

  • Sorry, that was me again.

    --Morgan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 PM  

  • I am going to go against the grain here and defend Watchtower. Jimi really made it his own song. I don't mind the repetition (everything I listen to is pretty much 3-chords over and over anyway). IMHO, it's better than the Dylan version. I never made the Jehovah's Witnesses connection until you pointed it out, thanks :/ Maybe not his best song, but I would not toss it out of a collection myself.

    -- Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • Perhaps it is boring, but since the person in question has no obvious exposure to Hendrix, you should try to think of it as hearing it for the first time. From that viewpoint, it is one of Jimi's best.

    And if you're sick of hearing 3 chords played over and over, you better stop listening to 90% of music ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home