Swimming with the Razorfishes

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I never thought I'd see an entire city in the United States wiped out. I never thought I'd see the day that a mayor, governor, and U.S. President would allow one of the United States' great cities to descend into chaos, rule of law giving way to looting and violence.

And I certainly never imagined that, if something like this was happening, that the rest of the country would go on as if little else was happening. Our biggest complaint is that gasoline is too expensive. 30,000 people are living in Thunderdome, and the rest of us decide to hoard gasoline. I never imagined that something like this would happen.

The one thing that doesn't surprise me, however, is the news coverage. This week, I remembered why I stopped watching CNN. CNN and Time Warner should be ashamed of what they have done.

2 Comments:

  • What did CNN do? I just looked at their website and the top 25 stories are all about the hurricane. I am not sure how they could give it more coverage.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM  

  • They aren't giving it "coverage;" they are reveling in the tragedy. With no actual news to report, news people think it is their job to bother police and exploit people's suffering.

    This morning, Soledad O'Brian thought her job was to berate the head of FEMA and ask absurd questions to which there is no possible answer.

    And the few groups of people bouncing around the Gulf coast with communication links to the outside world are news crews. What are they doing with their satellite links and videophones? How are they serving the public good now that the city has descended into chaos?

    This isn't Cindy Sheenan sitting in the shade in Texas. Bodies are floating down the street. American citizens are picking through garbage because they haven't eaten in days. More people will certainly die in the gulf than did on 9/11; the destruction is far worse already.

    Someone in our company will have to justify how we didn't do anything to help.

    By Blogger Eric Hancock, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home