Swimming with the Razorfishes

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

POTD

Remember way back around 2002, when everyone discovered 'blogs? ("I just started a blog. Have you seen my blog? Isn't blogging the best!?") Everyone was creating them, then going to all sorts of inappropriate places with their laptops. Conferences. Product launches. Funerals. Round table discussions.

And instead of paying attention, they'd be nose down, click-clacking away on a keyboard.

If you looked over, annoyed at the noise of four fingers typing, and asked, "what are you doing?" you would inevitably hear, "I'm blogging this!" As if that made their antisocial behavior somehow more acceptable.

All those douchebags? They bought cameras.

Stalker
click for high-res

Everywhere I go, people are carrying (and using) cameras. Conferences. Restaurants. Funerals. Concerts. And not sophisticated cameras with fast lenses; they are carrying point-and-shoot cameras with the flashes popping all over the place.

You can't go anywhere interesting without having a couple dozen people snapping photos. A bunch of people popping flashes at annoying, inappropriate times. As if capturing the moment on a compact flash card somehow validates their existence.

And I'm sick of it.

I realize that I run the risk of being one of these people. I don't want to be one of these people. So I propose that we start bringing water bottles to events. When the cameras start getting annoying, lets squirt these people with some water, like so many ill-behaved cats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home